Sunday, October 14, 2007

Vision of Students Today

I have been thinking a lot lately about how "technology" will affect teaching. I watch my son study and he does multi task during his studies. He will be reading out of a text book and also has on online component, he uses his cell phone to compare notes and thoughts about the lesson with friends. Oh, and he also has his i-pod on .
This is how he studies at home but at school I'm sure he is sitting at a desk with a teacher at the front of the room writing on a white board or maybe using an LCD projector to show a powerpoint.
I'm not sure where this is all going. I'm not sure what the answer is or even what the question is. But I do know that things have changed.
I am just an immigrant to this new way of working. Right now while writing this blog I just received two Twitters on my group from the K12 Online Conference. I check them when they pop up and see where the conversation is heading. Often I discover something new.
Just read the Twitters back about 45 minutes and discovered that the Wiki of David Warlick's Pre Conference Keynote Speech Chat Transcript. This is the conversation that went on between the "attendees" that listened to his speech. The conversation went on long after the speech was over and because the speech was recorded attendees could re-watch the speech and refine their thoughts.
Imagine this happening in a classroom. Students able to compare thoughts of the class during class, review a video of the class in the evening and revise their thoughts. A wiki could be set up for each class for students to post, revise, and collaborate on notes from the class. The teacher would be able to view the wiki and then collaborate with the students and guide their thoughts after class. The walls and time of classes begin to break down.

No comments:

Followers

Listen to my blog

My Esty